Jun 23, 2013, 9:12 PM EST
One week after Father’s Day, Courtney Force proved that father doesn’t always know best.
In the first final round matchup with her father and legendary 15-time Funny Car champion John Force, Courtney celebrated her 25th birthday by winning the inaugural Auto-Plus NHRA New England Nationals at New England Dragway in Epping, N.H.
Courtney’s Ford Mustang bested her father’s Mustang, 4.301 seconds at 261.67 mph to 4.367 seconds at 262.28 mph.
It was Courtney Force’s second win of 2013 and the third of her career. She defeated Alexis DeJoria, Tim Wilkerson and defending Funny Car champ Jack Beckman earlier Sunday en route to meeting her father for the deciding matchup.
In addition, she’s now 4-2 in all-time round wins against dear old dad, but Sunday was the first time they had ever met in the final round of an NHRA national event. It also allowed Courtney to avenge a first round loss to John last week at Bristol Dragway.
“I definitely told him I was going to get some revenge and we were able to do it. It was a lot of fun,” Courtney Force told NHRA.com. “We got down there, and our car got in a little bit of trouble, but I had my foot on the throttle hoping he wouldn’t catch up. After the win, he came over and hugged me and congratulated me. We were both really excited, and it was great for our team.”
Courtney Force moved up to fourth in the series standings, while John Force is right behind in fifth place.
As for the other three pro classes in the 11th of 24 races in this season’s NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, Spencer Massey won in Top Fuel, Allen Johnson in Pro Stock and John Hall in Pro Stock Motorcyle.
The NHRA now moves on to its third race in a grueling four-week period with the O’Reilly Auto Parts Nationals at Route 66 Raceway in suburban Chicago, June 27-30.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0