Jun 24, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
Red Bull may openly defy the FIA by holding a test of their own after Mercedes received a light punishment from the International Tribunal last week.
Mercedes have been banned from participating in the Young Drivers’ Test at Silverstone next month after being found to have conducted a test using their race drivers in May.
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner responded by saying his team would always prefer to test with its race drivers rather than junior drivers.
Now a report in The Times claims Red Bull are considering boycotting the Young Drivers’ Test so they can do a test of their own. According to the report Red Bull have told Bernie Ecclestone they would be content to take the same punishment Mercedes received – the test ban plus a reprimand – in order to do the test.
The Times also quoted an unnamed Ferrari source questioning the severity of Mercedes’ punishment. Ferrari made their bemusement at Mercedes’ light sentence clear on Friday in an anonymous article on their website which said Mercedes had “got away virtually scot free” with a “rap across the knuckles”.
However The Times said Ferrari would not join Red Bull in conducting a test of their own as they had already participated in two tests for Pirelli, neither of which were disclosed at the time, which were performed using pre-2013 machinery.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)