Jun 24, 2013, 12:03 PM EST
Red Bull may openly defy the FIA by holding a test of their own after Mercedes received a light punishment from the International Tribunal last week.
Mercedes have been banned from participating in the Young Drivers’ Test at Silverstone next month after being found to have conducted a test using their race drivers in May.
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner responded by saying his team would always prefer to test with its race drivers rather than junior drivers.
Now a report in The Times claims Red Bull are considering boycotting the Young Drivers’ Test so they can do a test of their own. According to the report Red Bull have told Bernie Ecclestone they would be content to take the same punishment Mercedes received – the test ban plus a reprimand – in order to do the test.
The Times also quoted an unnamed Ferrari source questioning the severity of Mercedes’ punishment. Ferrari made their bemusement at Mercedes’ light sentence clear on Friday in an anonymous article on their website which said Mercedes had “got away virtually scot free” with a “rap across the knuckles”.
However The Times said Ferrari would not join Red Bull in conducting a test of their own as they had already participated in two tests for Pirelli, neither of which were disclosed at the time, which were performed using pre-2013 machinery.
Video from NASCAR America
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 5
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3
- Health issues to sideline Brian Vickers for early part of 2015 Sprint Cup season 5
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 16 — Kyle Larson, super-rookie 1