Jun 25, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
UPDATE, 6:00 p.m. ET: This weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race will be the first without a Labonte since 1978. Bobby Labonte confirmed on the JTG Daugherty Racing website that he won’t race in Kentucky this Saturday night.
The younger Labonte to Corpus Christi’s “Texas Terry,” the two-time Cup champion, began racing in Cup full-time in 1993. JTG Daugherty has sought Allmendinger’s input and opinion on its car and is providing him another start in that car.
1:00 p.m. ET: One streak came to an end in a good way on Sunday when Martin Truex Jr. snapped a 200-plus race winless streak. One other streak appears set to end this Saturday night in Kentucky: Bobby Labonte’s consecutive starts streak.
The 2000 NASCAR Cup champion isn’t listed in either of the cars he’s driven this year. AJ Allmendinger makes his second start in Labonte’s normal No. 47 JTG Daugherty Racing Toyota, with Austin Dillon taking the reins of the No. 51 Phoenix Racing Chevrolet.
Labonte’s streak of 704 consecutive starts began with the 1993 Daytona 500. He sits only 30th in the points standings this year, without a top-10 finish.
Ricky Rudd holds the all-time consecutive start streak record at 788. Jeff Gordon has one more consecutive start than does Labonte, with 705 entering this weekend’s Quaker State 400 presented by Advance Auto Parts.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 2
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)