Jun 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
People might not remember who won the 2003 British Grand Prix off the top of their heads, but chances are they do remember this guy.
Defrocked priest Neil Horan interrupted the race when he somehow made it onto the track, running on the Hangar Straight straight into oncoming traffic while carrying religious signage and wearing a kilt. Mercifully, he was taken down by a course marshal and moved off to the side of the track. He’d eventually face legal charges of aggravated trespass and spend two months behind bars.
As for his impact on the Grand Prix, it caused the year’s most abnormal safety car period and a flurry of cars entered the pits as a result. Rubens Barrichello eventually took the win from pole position, ahead of Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen.
You can see this year’s British Grand Prix live on CNBC, not NBC Sports Network, at 7:30 a.m. ET Sunday morning and also live streamed via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 0
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0