Jun 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
People might not remember who won the 2003 British Grand Prix off the top of their heads, but chances are they do remember this guy.
Defrocked priest Neil Horan interrupted the race when he somehow made it onto the track, running on the Hangar Straight straight into oncoming traffic while carrying religious signage and wearing a kilt. Mercifully, he was taken down by a course marshal and moved off to the side of the track. He’d eventually face legal charges of aggravated trespass and spend two months behind bars.
As for his impact on the Grand Prix, it caused the year’s most abnormal safety car period and a flurry of cars entered the pits as a result. Rubens Barrichello eventually took the win from pole position, ahead of Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen.
You can see this year’s British Grand Prix live on CNBC, not NBC Sports Network, at 7:30 a.m. ET Sunday morning and also live streamed via NBC Sports Live Extra.
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/5 at 9:30am ET on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 1
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 4
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 4