Jun 26, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton says he’s willing to take on any of his rivals in their own teams if the chance arises.
In an interview with F1 Racing magazine Hamilton said: “Would I ever go to Red Bull if Vettel was there? I would go up against any driver.”
“Any time, any place. Any team. Whoever it is, that’s not a worry for me, I would have happily been Sebastian’s team mate. He has a great car, so it would have been a great experience.”
Hamilton described Fernando Alonso as “the toughest opponent I have ever had” in a team. “It’s his sheer, raw, speed – he’s just massively quick. You have to be really ‘on it’ to beat him. You have to bring your ‘A’ game and more.”
He admitted there was an allure to driving for Ferrari – “you look at a Ferrari and think ‘that’s pretty cool'” – and didn’t rule out a return to McLaren in the future. But he added “at the moment I’m really happy where I am and I hope Mercedes keep me for even longer”.
Hamilton has been reunited with former karting team mate Nico Rosberg this year. He’s out-scored his fellow Mercedes driver by 77 points to 57 so far but Rosberg has had two mechanical retirements and had scored three pole positions to Hamilton’s one.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2