Jun 26, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton says he’s willing to take on any of his rivals in their own teams if the chance arises.
In an interview with F1 Racing magazine Hamilton said: “Would I ever go to Red Bull if Vettel was there? I would go up against any driver.”
“Any time, any place. Any team. Whoever it is, that’s not a worry for me, I would have happily been Sebastian’s team mate. He has a great car, so it would have been a great experience.”
Hamilton described Fernando Alonso as “the toughest opponent I have ever had” in a team. “It’s his sheer, raw, speed – he’s just massively quick. You have to be really ‘on it’ to beat him. You have to bring your ‘A’ game and more.”
He admitted there was an allure to driving for Ferrari – “you look at a Ferrari and think ‘that’s pretty cool’” – and didn’t rule out a return to McLaren in the future. But he added “at the moment I’m really happy where I am and I hope Mercedes keep me for even longer”.
Hamilton has been reunited with former karting team mate Nico Rosberg this year. He’s out-scored his fellow Mercedes driver by 77 points to 57 so far but Rosberg has had two mechanical retirements and had scored three pole positions to Hamilton’s one.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)