Jun 26, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
McLaren conducted a straight-line aerodynamic test at Idiada in Spain to evaluate the latest upgrades to their MP4-28.
The team which won seven races last year have struggled to make an impression in 2013 and are yet to finish a race higher than sixth.
“The only issue with our car is we lack downforce and that is what we are trying to create at the moment,” said managing director Jonathan Neale in a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in.
“We’ve got a range of upgrades for the weekend but we’re not there just testing parts, but testing some fundamental understanding issues as well. We’ll wait and see on Friday afternoon at Silverstone as to what remains on the car for Saturday to know how successful it has been.”
Neale said the team’s goal for their home race is to “get both cars into Q3 and then race hard for good points”.
“It would be great if the guys could get a podium out of it but I think on recent performance that could be quite challenging,” he added.
Following their disappointing start to the year McLaren have faced several questions over whether they will give up on their 2013 programme and channel their efforts into the new regulations for next year. Neale once again downplayed the suggestion:
“The program is, to some extent, fluid. In terms of this year’s car versus next year’s car, we’re still learning a lot. I think that some of the fundamental work that we’ll continue to do beyond the [factory] shutdown is useful into next year, but inevitably once we’re through in to August we will be migrating some resource across in to 2014.”
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6