Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Force India reserve driver James Rossiter will have his first outing on a Grand Prix weekend at his home Grand Prix. The 29-year-old Englishman will drive Adrian Sutil’s chassis in free practice one on Friday at Silverstone.
Rossiter joined the team ahead of 2012 and has primarily focused on simulator runs. He did test the VJM06 earlier this year at Jerez.
“This is an amazing opportunity and I’m really looking forward to taking part in an official practice session during a Grand Prix weekend,” Rossiter said in a team release. “The fact that Silverstone is my home race makes the news even sweeter. The main reason for driving the car is to help progress the team’s simulator program, which I’ve been working on for almost twelve months. I drove the car during winter testing in February, but it’s valuable to have another opportunity to experience the real car and make sure it’s in harmony with the simulator.”
Rossiter has a prior history in Formula One with Honda, serving as a test driver for both the factory and offshoot Super Aguri teams last decade. He was also linked to a seat at the stillborn USF1 team before it failed to make the 2010 grid.
He’s competed in sports car racing with Acura (Andretti Green Racing in 2008 in the U.S.) and Lotus, both in a GTE-spec Evora and LMP2 car that Lotus had sponsored. He had one test for KV Racing Technology ahead of the 2010 IndyCar season and was in line for that team’s third seat before Mario Moraes found the backing to continue.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 0
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5