Jun 26, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Force India reserve driver James Rossiter will have his first outing on a Grand Prix weekend at his home Grand Prix. The 29-year-old Englishman will drive Adrian Sutil’s chassis in free practice one on Friday at Silverstone.
Rossiter joined the team ahead of 2012 and has primarily focused on simulator runs. He did test the VJM06 earlier this year at Jerez.
“This is an amazing opportunity and I’m really looking forward to taking part in an official practice session during a Grand Prix weekend,” Rossiter said in a team release. “The fact that Silverstone is my home race makes the news even sweeter. The main reason for driving the car is to help progress the team’s simulator program, which I’ve been working on for almost twelve months. I drove the car during winter testing in February, but it’s valuable to have another opportunity to experience the real car and make sure it’s in harmony with the simulator.”
Rossiter has a prior history in Formula One with Honda, serving as a test driver for both the factory and offshoot Super Aguri teams last decade. He was also linked to a seat at the stillborn USF1 team before it failed to make the 2010 grid.
He’s competed in sports car racing with Acura (Andretti Green Racing in 2008 in the U.S.) and Lotus, both in a GTE-spec Evora and LMP2 car that Lotus had sponsored. He had one test for KV Racing Technology ahead of the 2010 IndyCar season and was in line for that team’s third seat before Mario Moraes found the backing to continue.
Video from NASCAR America
- What we’re thankful in the motorsports world, 2014 0
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 1
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 5
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3