Jun 27, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The “home Grand Prix” has in recent years been reduced by the preponderance of new Formula One races occurring outside of Europe.
With the British and German Grands Prix coming up in the next two weeks, eight of the 22 drivers on the grid will have their chance to race in front of their home fans. Three Englishmen and a Scot have the honor this weekend at Silverstone (Sunday, 7:30 a.m. ET, CNBC and live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra), while four Germans will race at the Nurburgring on July 7.
We’ll take a look at the English drivers in their home races first, then the Germans next week.
PAUL DI RESTA AND MAX CHILTON: FIRST REAL CHANCE TO MAKE THEIR MARK ON HOME SOIL
Lewis Hamilton’s a former winner and Jenson Button notorious for his hard luck in the British Grand Prix. The other two home drivers – Scotland’s Paul di Resta (Force India) and England’s Max Chilton (Marussia) – will attempt to write their first chapter of memorable history at the race this weekend.
Di Resta’s raced at Silverstone twice previously but was only 15th in his first start in 2011, and retired a year ago. Chilton has a less-than-distinguished GP2 record at Silverstone, with only two top-10 finishes in six races.
Car-wise, Di Resta’s Force India has been good in the races but he needs a solid qualifying effort after consecutive races being bounced out in Q1. The best Chilton can expect to do, as ever, is shade teammate Jules Bianchi and perhaps get ahead of one of the two Caterhams.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6