Mark Webber to leave F1 at end of season

Jun 27, 2013, 4:17 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Practice Getty Images

Mark Webber has today confirmed that he will be leaving Red Bull at the end of the season and walking away from Formula One altogether, believing that it is time to start a new chapter of his career with Porsche’s endurance racing programme.

The Australian driver has raced for the team since 2007, claiming nine wins with the team and finishing 3rd in the 2010 and 2011 drivers’ championships, as well as helping Red Bull win three consecutive constructors’ championships.

However, following the Multi 21 fiasco at this year’s Malaysian Grand Prix, where Sebastian Vettel overtook Webber against team orders, the Aussie’s relationship with the team plummeted, sparking rumors that he may be set to leave the team. However, not until today has there been official confirmation.

“I’m very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1,” Webber said in a statement. “I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sports cars in the world.”

Webber will join Porsche next season as part of their squad for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and other endurance races.

The race to replace Webber is thought to be between Daniel Ricciardo, Jean-Eric Vergne and Kimi Raikkonen.

1. wallio - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:00 AM

oh who called this? I believe I did! Told you so. As an RBR fan all I can say is see ya! Enjoy Le Mans Mark, there’s no standing starts there.

• Luke Smith - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Your last sentence may be my favorite comment on MST.

• apexassassin - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Seriously!

Though i have proof I called it in April of 2012, wallio. ;)

2. indycarseries500 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Good Luck Mark! Get that second jewel in your crown.

• apexassassin - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

crown of failure??

3. wallio - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Sorry Luke, I know its easy to criticize but as an RBR fan, it was so damn frustrating to see one blue car shoot off into the distance and one get swarmed. And as someone who drag races regularly, I know its not THAT hard to launch a car.

And yes I know Me Mans used to have the ultimate standing starts, but they don’t anymore so the joke works. :p

4. bikingscr016 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Well launching an F1 car isn’t exactly similar to much of anything. Impossible? No, but you’d figure he would’ve gotten it by now.