Jun 28, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The Automobile Club de l’Ouest has announced the 2014 date for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The 82nd running of the French endurance classic will be held June 14-15, a week earlier than this year. Additional dates around the event include the traditional test day to be held Sunday, June 1, with scrutineering (technical inspection) on June 8-9.
The race was moved back to June 22-23 this year, initially, to avoid a conflict with the new Grand Prix of Port Imperial Formula One race that was set to be held June 16. The race at Port Imperial was postponed until 2014, but the Le Mans date did not move back as planned.
On Friday’s meeting of the World Motor Sport Council, the FIA confirmed there won’t be a Formula One race on the same weekend as Le Mans. That could free up any of the current F1 drivers to race at Le Mans, which has not been done since Sebastien Bourdais did so in 2009.
Another area to note is that the 2014 U.S. Open golf tournament will be held June 12-15. That’s televised by NBC, and could cause the F1 TV for that weekend to shift around if there was a Grand Prix.
No F1 race on that June 14-15 weekend would imply the Port Imperial round, which has been projected to follow the Canadian Grand Prix at Montreal, would not occur on the second half of the back-to-back weekends.
Monaco is scheduled for May 25, but the rest of the Formula One calendar for 2014 is yet to be determined.
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)