Jun 28, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will start from P1 tomorrow night at Kentucky Speedway, throwing down a track-record qualifying lap at 183.636 miles per hour in his No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet to claim pole for the Quaker State 400.
Earnhardt, who earned his 12th career Sprint Cup pole, was one of nine drivers that broke Jimmie Johnson‘s old track record (181.818 mph) on the 1.5-mile oval outside Cincinnati. He was able to take advantage of some cloud cover on the track during his qualifying run, which knocked Johnson off the pole.
“I didn’t know that it would be quick enough to beat Jimmie, but we had a lot of shade in front of us,” said Earnhardt. “About five cars in front of us, we got a lot of shade and [it] cooled the track down. It gave us a good opportunity to put down a lap like that.
“[Crew chief] Steve Letarte, [engineer] Kevin Meander and all the guys on the team did a good job putting a good car out on the grid [and giving] me a good shot at it. They deserve a lot of credit. We just tried not to mess it up, just tried not to over drive it.”
Starting on the front row alongside Earnhardt will be Carl Edwards, who turned in a lap at 183.306 mph in the No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford to grab second on the grid. Saturday will mark Edwards’ fifth front-row start of the year.
Johnson wound up third when the dust settled, joining Kyle Busch in the second row. Marcos Ambrose and Denny Hamlin will make up Row 3, followed by Ryan Newman and defending Kentucky champion Brad Keselowski in Row 4.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 16
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 15
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2