Jun 28, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Felipe Massa has experienced another difficult start to a grand prix weekend after crashing during the second free practice session for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone today.
The Brazilian driver was the last classified driver to post a time during FP1, with most opting to remain in the pits due to the adverse weather conditions. Massa finished P11 with a time of 2:06.534, which gave the Ferrari team very little data to work with and subsequently placed extra importance on the second session in the afternoon.
However, Massa’s FP2 run came to an abrupt end after completing just seven laps on the drying track. After braking into Stowe, Massa got back on the power a little too quickly through the sweeping right-hander, resulting in a very long slide. Unable to correct the mistake, the Ferrari helplessly crashed into the wall near pit entry, ruining the front end of the car and ending Massa’s session there and then.
Speaking about the incident, Massa made no secret of his disappointment after a fourth crash in three races.
“I am very disappointed about what happened today as the accident cost me valuable time, especially in terms of getting an understanding of the tire behaviour here at Silverstone,” Massa explained in a team statement.
“At the exit of the corner, I found myself on a piece of track that was still very damp and I lost control of the car. Luckily, the car only suffered slight front end damage and tomorrow we will comfortably be able to pick up where we left off with the work.”
Massa has failed to finish on the podium at the British Grand Prix in his ten previous attempts, and this setback could put paid to any chances he has this weekend.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10