Jun 28, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
The FIA has today confirmed the changes that will be made to the sporting and technical regulations for next season as part of its constant improvement of the sport.
One of the biggest rule changes is that from next season there will be a penalty points system where drivers will receive points on their license for any infringements. These will range from one to three (depending on the action in question), and they remain on a license for 12 months. Should a driver pick up twelve points, they will be subject to an immediate one-race ban.
In the wake of tiregate, changes have also been made to the testing procedure. There will be four two-day test events across the course of the season, held on the Tuesday and Wednesday following a European grand prix in order to minimize the cost of moving from place to place. Also, testing is now permitted in January in order to allow teams to work with the new V6 engines, suggesting that there will indeed be four tests in the 2014 pre-season.
Drivers will also be given an extra set of tires to use during the first 30 minutes of Free Practice 1, encouraging teams to send their drivers out early on and increasing the on-track action for the fans. Gearboxes will be required to last six races next season, up from five in 2013.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)