Jun 28, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
We mentioned earlier this week that Justin Wilson, of Dale Coyne Racing, would spend his off weekend from his day job in the IZOD IndyCar Series racing a sports car at Watkins Glen.
He’s not alone in trying out another set of wheels.
Dragon Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais (pictured) will race against Wilson in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series’ Daytona Prototype class. Bourdais, like Wilson, will race in a Ford Riley DP. Bourdais will drive for the Starworks Motorsport team with co-drivers Ryan Dalziel and Alex Popow.
Bourdais’ French countryman Simon Pagenaud, of HP Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports, is also racing this weekend. He’s taking on the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in his 500-plus horsepower Honda Odyssey minivan.
Lastly, NBC Sports Network IndyCar analyst Townsend Bell is back behind the wheel this weekend. Bell is driving a 600-plus horsepower Ford Fiesta in Global Rallycross at the X Games in Munich. He’ll drive for the OMSE2 team with Royal Purple sponsorship; that’s the same team that will partner with Dreyer & Reinbold and SH Racing for an entry at the Los Angeles X Games in August.
The rest of the IndyCar community – who have been on the road non-stop since the weekend before Brazil, in April – are taking some well-deserved R&R this weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1