Jun 28, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
We mentioned earlier this week that Justin Wilson, of Dale Coyne Racing, would spend his off weekend from his day job in the IZOD IndyCar Series racing a sports car at Watkins Glen.
He’s not alone in trying out another set of wheels.
Dragon Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais (pictured) will race against Wilson in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series’ Daytona Prototype class. Bourdais, like Wilson, will race in a Ford Riley DP. Bourdais will drive for the Starworks Motorsport team with co-drivers Ryan Dalziel and Alex Popow.
Bourdais’ French countryman Simon Pagenaud, of HP Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports, is also racing this weekend. He’s taking on the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in his 500-plus horsepower Honda Odyssey minivan.
Lastly, NBC Sports Network IndyCar analyst Townsend Bell is back behind the wheel this weekend. Bell is driving a 600-plus horsepower Ford Fiesta in Global Rallycross at the X Games in Munich. He’ll drive for the OMSE2 team with Royal Purple sponsorship; that’s the same team that will partner with Dreyer & Reinbold and SH Racing for an entry at the Los Angeles X Games in August.
The rest of the IndyCar community – who have been on the road non-stop since the weekend before Brazil, in April – are taking some well-deserved R&R this weekend.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0