Jun 28, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Red Bull Racing have today confirmed that Antonio Felix da Costa and Carlos Sainz Jr will run in the RB9 at the upcoming Young Drivers’ Test at Silverstone following the British Grand Prix.
The Young Drivers’ Test is intended to give an opportunity to the up-and-coming talent that is set to grace Formula One in the near future, and it has aided the likes of Giedo van der Garde and Daniel Ricciardo in the past by allowing them to get to grips with an F1 car. However, the scheme has been scrapped for 2014 in favor of in-season testing, with the onus now being on the teams to use their reserve drivers where possible.
da Costa has enjoyed a highly successful junior career, currently competing in World Series by Renault and he has already tested F1 cars for Red Bull and Force India. He is widely touted as being the next star in Formula One, despite being just 21 years old, and this appearance at the Young Drivers’ Test will only extend his credentials and a strong showing could put him in the running for a race seat in 2014.
Carlos Sainz Jr’s father is a legend of the rally world, winning the WRC twice in the nineties and this pace is clearly genetic. Little Carlos has too impressed in the feeder formulae, and although he may not be ready for Formula One just yet, one would expect him to grace the sport in the not-too-distant future.
The test will take place between the 17th and 19th July at Silverstone. Mercedes are forbidden from attending following the FIA tribunal’s decision last week.
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3