Jun 29, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
The FIA stewards have confirmed that Paul di Resta’s car has been found to be under the weight limit, and the driver has subsequently been relegated to the back of the grid.
di Resta, who is enjoying his home race this weekend, qualified an excellent 5th on Saturday, easily making it through to Q3 and leading the field behind the Mercedes-Red Bull battle that was ensuing at the front. The Scot was delighted with his performance.
“I’m over the moon with the qualifying result and I think the whole team can feel very satisfied with fifth on the grid,” di Resta said in a team statement. “The morning practice session was quite difficult so it feels great to come through and end up just behind two Mercedes and two Red Bulls.
“This track takes a lot of commitment and you need to build up your speed, but I think we saved our best till last – and that’s when it mattered.”
However, this has paled into insignificance after the stewards elected to penalize him for being 1.5kg under the weight limit, disqualifying from the session. di Resta now has the choice of starting P22 or from the pit lane.
Force India were thought to be considering an appeal, but instead opted to accept the stewards’ decision.
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 0
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 5