Jun 29, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
The FIA stewards have confirmed that Paul di Resta’s car has been found to be under the weight limit, and the driver has subsequently been relegated to the back of the grid.
di Resta, who is enjoying his home race this weekend, qualified an excellent 5th on Saturday, easily making it through to Q3 and leading the field behind the Mercedes-Red Bull battle that was ensuing at the front. The Scot was delighted with his performance.
“I’m over the moon with the qualifying result and I think the whole team can feel very satisfied with fifth on the grid,” di Resta said in a team statement. “The morning practice session was quite difficult so it feels great to come through and end up just behind two Mercedes and two Red Bulls.
“This track takes a lot of commitment and you need to build up your speed, but I think we saved our best till last – and that’s when it mattered.”
However, this has paled into insignificance after the stewards elected to penalize him for being 1.5kg under the weight limit, disqualifying from the session. di Resta now has the choice of starting P22 or from the pit lane.
Force India were thought to be considering an appeal, but instead opted to accept the stewards’ decision.
- WATCH LIVE: FP3 for the Monaco Grand Prix on Live Extra from 5am ET 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0