Jun 29, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
So far, Ferrari pilot Felipe Massa has had a trying British Grand Prix weekend after a crash in FP2 on Friday and now a failure to advance into Q3 during Saturday’s qualifying sessions at Silverstone.
Saturday was a sub-par afternoon all around for the Prancing Horse, which saw team leader Fernando Alonso only qualify tenth before advancing to ninth on the provisional grid following Paul di Resta’s relegation to the back of the field for Sunday. As for Massa, he’s now slated to start 11th on the inside of the sixth row alongside Toro Rosso’s Jean-Eric Vergne.
The Brazilian racer has definitely hit a rough patch in recent weeks, and so far, Silverstone has not raised his fortunes. Robbed of valuable track time thanks to both his Friday crash and a pre-qualifying engine change early on Saturday, Massa was then forced to contend with a lack of grip on his car in qualifying.
He admitted afterwards that he may need track temperatures to rise on Sunday in order to have a chance at a solid points day.
“It was an extremely difficult day as we did not have the car we were expecting and we had no grip whatsoever with new tires,” Massa said. “Compared to other cars, we struggled to put together a good lap.
“…We must think about tomorrow, as the race is an altogether different matter, and I hope that, with a full fuel load and higher temperatures, things can change in our favor. If the car is more competitive, I’m sure I can pull off a few passing moves and fight for a good result.”
Massa has never hit the podium at Silverstone in ten career Formula One starts there.
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 0
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 1
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2
- Can IndyCar’s next generation take it to the established veterans? 1
- Fernando Alonso talks return in Malaysian GP 2
- Nowhere to go but up for Lotus at Malaysia GP 3