Jun 29, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has made no secret of the battle he has waged with the Mercedes W04 car so far this season, and he explained further how it was difficult to fine tune and perfect the setup of the car despite scoring his second pole position of the season at the British Grand Prix.
The 2008 world champion posted a fastest time of 1:29.607 – a full four-tenths clear of closest rival Nico Rosberg – to seal his second pole position at Silverstone with a stunning lap in the dying moments of qualifying. However, he hasn’t had it so easy this weekend.
“I really have been struggling with the car, trying to get it to behave the way I want it to,” Hamilton explained in the post-race press conference.
“We have a great car, but to fine tune seems a little bit harder. We made the right steps and made a change into qualy which helped.”
Hamilton praised the Mercedes W04 further, believing that it is better than his previous four cars – all with McLaren.
“This is the first time since 2008 that I’ve really had a car I can compete with.”
It is worth noting that in this time, Hamilton still won many races and even had a shot at the championship come the final round in 2010. Regardless, he is evidently delighted to be a part of the Mercedes setup, and this pole will certainly go down as one of his most important.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 5
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)