Jun 29, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery has spoken of his frustration following Friday’s free practice sessions where the prototype compound brought to the race failed to be evaluated due to the weather.
The first session on Friday morning was almost a complete washout, with times being set in the final fifteen minutes of the session only. As a result, the teams had to squeeze three hours worth of work into just ninety minutes, leaving little time for the prototype tire to be used extensively during FP2.
“Because of the rain, it meant that the drivers didn’t get as much running as they would have liked on the two sets of new prototype tyres that we brought here for free practice only, which is actually the same prototype hard tire that we brought to Spain last month,” Hembery said in a statement from Pirelli.
“On that occasion the running on this tire was curtailed again due to rain during free practice. So that was frustrating but not all together surprising this time, given that we’re in England!”
Even when the traditional British weather did subside and dry running was possible, the conditions were still not suitable for collecting data.
“This afternoon’s session finally had some running on the prototype tires but we did not gain a lot of data because of a lack of track time this morning,” Hembery explained.
“The medium and hard race compounds so far show a difference in lap time of around one second, but we still have plenty of data to analyse. With tomorrow and Sunday expected to be dry, it will be interesting to see how the teams adapt their strategies.”
- WATCH LIVE: British GP Race Day on CNBC and Live Extra from 7:30am ET 0
- What to watch for: British Grand Prix (7:30am ET on CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0