Jun 29, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Over the years, Formula One has produced many inter-team rivalries that have turned sour: Senna/Prost, Hamilton/Alonso and Vettel/Webber are three examples with varying levels of anemosity. However, Nico Rosberg is enjoying the current battle he is embroiled in with teammate Lewis Hamilton, believing that it is only creating more momentum for Mercedes as the season continues.
“Yeah, it’s a big battle we have, and usually it’s very close,” Rosberg explained in the post-qualifying press conference. “Not today – Lewis did a great lap in the end.”
Hamilton snatched pole away from Rosberg with his final lap in Q3, going a full four-tenths quicker than his teammate, yet the German driver was still very pleased for the team to have done so well despite not bagging himself a fourth pole position of the season.
“It’s also a really, really big push, also for the whole team, that we’re pushing each other all the time, and that’s really good,” he said. “We’re really lucky because we have a great atmosphere at the moment in the team, everybody’s going in the same direction and sticking together, so it’s fantastic momentum that we have at the moment.”
Mercedes have been the dominant team in qualifying so far this season, claiming five of the eight pole positions so far with Sebastian Vettel picking up the other three.
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)