Jun 29, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Over the years, Formula One has produced many inter-team rivalries that have turned sour: Senna/Prost, Hamilton/Alonso and Vettel/Webber are three examples with varying levels of anemosity. However, Nico Rosberg is enjoying the current battle he is embroiled in with teammate Lewis Hamilton, believing that it is only creating more momentum for Mercedes as the season continues.
“Yeah, it’s a big battle we have, and usually it’s very close,” Rosberg explained in the post-qualifying press conference. “Not today – Lewis did a great lap in the end.”
Hamilton snatched pole away from Rosberg with his final lap in Q3, going a full four-tenths quicker than his teammate, yet the German driver was still very pleased for the team to have done so well despite not bagging himself a fourth pole position of the season.
“It’s also a really, really big push, also for the whole team, that we’re pushing each other all the time, and that’s really good,” he said. “We’re really lucky because we have a great atmosphere at the moment in the team, everybody’s going in the same direction and sticking together, so it’s fantastic momentum that we have at the moment.”
Mercedes have been the dominant team in qualifying so far this season, claiming five of the eight pole positions so far with Sebastian Vettel picking up the other three.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1