Jun 29, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Over the years, Formula One has produced many inter-team rivalries that have turned sour: Senna/Prost, Hamilton/Alonso and Vettel/Webber are three examples with varying levels of anemosity. However, Nico Rosberg is enjoying the current battle he is embroiled in with teammate Lewis Hamilton, believing that it is only creating more momentum for Mercedes as the season continues.
“Yeah, it’s a big battle we have, and usually it’s very close,” Rosberg explained in the post-qualifying press conference. “Not today – Lewis did a great lap in the end.”
Hamilton snatched pole away from Rosberg with his final lap in Q3, going a full four-tenths quicker than his teammate, yet the German driver was still very pleased for the team to have done so well despite not bagging himself a fourth pole position of the season.
“It’s also a really, really big push, also for the whole team, that we’re pushing each other all the time, and that’s really good,” he said. “We’re really lucky because we have a great atmosphere at the moment in the team, everybody’s going in the same direction and sticking together, so it’s fantastic momentum that we have at the moment.”
Mercedes have been the dominant team in qualifying so far this season, claiming five of the eight pole positions so far with Sebastian Vettel picking up the other three.
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 16
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2