Jun 29, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Jean-Eric Vergne has come away from qualifying in a surprisingly upbeat mood considering that he was knocked out in Q2 and finished behind teammate Daniel Ricciardo and Kimi Raikkonen, both of whom he is in contention for the Red Bull seat in 2014.
Vergne missed out on the final qualifying session by under two-tenths of a second, finishing P13 in the end, but he explained in an interview how some drag caught off the back of Sebastian Vettel lost him downforce, causing him to run wide during his final lap.
“I think it was a bit of bad luck,” Vergne explained. “I was getting some drag off Vettel, and just lost the downforce and went straight on the grass.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Despite the result, Vergne is confident that he could have made Q3.
“Q3 was easily reachable. I was doing the same time as Daniel at that moment which was obviously quite enough for Q3. It’s a big shame, I’m pissed off as well not to start tomorrow’s race a bit more at the front, but on the other hand we have a good car and the pace is good, and everything is possible in the race.”
Toro Rosso have shown good pace all weekend, regularly finishing well inside the top ten. In fact, Daniel Ricciardo’s stand-out performance in P6 was the Australian’s worst result of the weekend so far.
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 9
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2