Jun 29, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Defending world champion and one-time British Grand Prix winner Sebastian Vettel has heaped praise on Lewis Hamilton after he stormed to pole position with a stunning lap in the dying seconds of qualifying.
Hamilton was the last of the frontrunners to post a lap in Q3, beating teammate and provisional pole-sitter Nico Rosberg by over four-tenths of a second, and third-placed Vettel could only applaud the Briton.
“I don’t know, either Lewis found a short cut or he has something special around here,” the German driver said in the post-qualifying press conference. “A phenomenal lap. I think it wasn’t in reach today.”
When talking about his own lap, Vettel seemed delighted to have qualified so closely to the Mercedes cars.
“I was very happy with the lap I had at the end. And I think it was very close with Mark as well. I think we did what we could for the team and, yeah, it’s always nice to position well in qualifying.
“Especially around here qualifying is good fun, enjoying the high-speed corners and looking forward to tomorrow, for the race. We’ll see how well we are with the tires, looking after them.”
Vettel is well-placed to claim a second British GP victory and a fourth win of the season should Mercedes encounter the same tire problems that blighted their races in Bahrain and Spain earlier this year.
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2