Jun 30, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Denny Hamlin escaped injury after his second tire failure in today’s Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway sent him hard into the Turn 4 wall while running in the Top 10.
Hamlin said that his knee hit the steering column during the Lap 149 incident, and he also suffered a headache that went away after he left Kentucky’s infield care center.
“For me, it didn’t go down slowly like the tire did the first time — [the second one] just blew out solid and quick,” said Hamlin. “Obviously, when I lost steering, I hit [the wall] flat. I would rather hit head-on anywhere than flat up against the wall on these walls.”
Considering that Hamlin missed multiple races earlier this season due to a fractured vertebrae he sustained in a March crash at Auto Club Speedway, there was concern for the Virginia native after today’s incident. However, he told NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello that his back was fine, saying that it was “the least of the concerns after this.”
Unfortunately for Hamlin, the Kentucky crash may have finally extinguished whatever hopes he had of making the Chase for the Sprint Cup. If his post-race comments are an indication, he appears set to simply focus on getting back into Victory Lane as many times as he can.
“We’re just going to try to win races and that’s what my job is for the rest of the year – try to win and do the best I can for my sponsors and my team,” he said. ‘Really, the biggest thing I was pushing for was to get my team into the Chase…This is obviously another hit.”
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 0
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 4
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30a ET 0
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3