Jun 30, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Johnson had yet to pit when the caution came out at Lap 89 for debris from the right-rear tire of David Gilliland during what had been a wave of green flag stops for debris. He took four tires on the stop and has been able to maintain the point since then.
Running second is Joey Logano, who has had a healthy amount of past success at Kentucky with multiple wins there in the Nationwide Series. Clint Bowyer has risen to third place, followed by Denny Hamlin, who has performed admirably since losing a tire earlier in the afternoon. Matt Kenseth has also been steady, currently fifth at the halfway mark.
As for Johnson’s teammate, Dale Earnhardt Jr., the front-end damage he sustained from Hamlin’s wayward tire carcass has forced him into a battle to get out of the mid-pack. NASCAR’s most popular driver has managed to stay on the lead lap but was only 19th at halfway, with the front end and splitter of his car almost completely covered in black tape.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 2
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2