Jun 30, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Keselowski was running tenth at that point when Kurt Busch moved from the apron to the banked tri-oval, sliding into Keselowski and spinning him out. The No. 2 Penske Racing Ford skidded along before sliding up the track in Turn 1, where it was hit from behind by Greg Biffle in the No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford.
Keselowski and Biffle were running 36th and 38th respectively at Lap 200 of today’s race, each of them more than 100 laps down. On Lap 182, Keselowski was hit with a speeding penalty on pit road, adding to his trying day at a track where he won one year ago.
Before returning to action, Keselowski said he was trying to be “patient” leading up to the wreck with Biffle.
“We were trying to get patient, because it looked like we will get the whole race in before rain and there is no reason to drive like an animal,” he said. “Apparently, I am the only one that got that memo. It is one of those deals.”
Kurt Busch apologized for triggering the incident, but while Keselowski felt there was no malice on the Furniture Row Racing driver’s part, he believed there was no reason for him to be on the apron in the first place.
“I am still wrecked, so I don’t know,” Keselowski responded when asked about whether or not the apology affected his view on the matter. “He is smarter than that. He knows better than that.”
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 2
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)