Jun 30, 2013, 5:49 PM EDT
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery has told Formula One’s official website that while a final, exact cause for the multiple tire blowouts in today’s British Grand Prix has not yet been found, the tire manufacturer’s new bonding process was not to blame.
Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa, Jean-Eric Vergne and Sergio Perez all suffered blowouts during the event, which was won by Nico Rosberg.
“At the moment, we can’t really say much more until we have fully investigated and analyzed all of these incidents, which is our top priority,” Hembery said in his comments. “However, we can exclude that the new bonding process, which we introduced at this race, is at cause for the tyre failures we have seen today.
“There might be some aspect to this circuit that impacts specifically on the latest version of our 2013 specification tyres but at this point we do not want to speculate and will now put together all the evidence to find out what happened and then take appropriate next steps should these be required.”
Pirelli had planned to bring in modified tires for the Canadian Grand Prix, but rain in Montreal led to a vote amongst the teams that scrapped the plan and the company instead opted to try and correct delamination issues with the aforementioned bonding process.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)