Jun 30, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen may not be pleased about starting down in 8th for today’s British Grand Prix, but the Finnish driver believes that he extracted all of the pace out of the Lotus E21 car during qualifying on Saturday.
When asked whether he expected more from qualifying, Raikkonen said: “Obivously, yes, but I think this is our speed right now.
“It’s not ideal, but it is what it is and we have to try to improve it.”
Raikkonen also ran with a new ‘device’ on his car during qualifying, designed to enhance the effect of DRS by diverting air flow when on the straights. However, according to Raikkonen, it did not have as great an effect at expected.
“We hoped for a bit more from it but let’s see how it behaves tomorrow. Hopefully it gives us a bit better race pace.
“We always hope for more from big parts, but like I said, we are where we are right now and we’re focused.”
Alternatively, Romain Grosjean did not use the device and qualified just 0.007 seconds ahead of Raikkonen. Despite the Lotus drivers finishing 8th and 9th in qualifying, they will line up P7 and P8 after Paul di Resta’s exclusion from the session.
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- An anti-climactic race in China ahead of F1′s return to Europe 0
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 5
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 4
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 19
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (19)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)