Jun 30, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen may not be pleased about starting down in 8th for today’s British Grand Prix, but the Finnish driver believes that he extracted all of the pace out of the Lotus E21 car during qualifying on Saturday.
When asked whether he expected more from qualifying, Raikkonen said: “Obivously, yes, but I think this is our speed right now.
“It’s not ideal, but it is what it is and we have to try to improve it.”
Raikkonen also ran with a new ‘device’ on his car during qualifying, designed to enhance the effect of DRS by diverting air flow when on the straights. However, according to Raikkonen, it did not have as great an effect at expected.
“We hoped for a bit more from it but let’s see how it behaves tomorrow. Hopefully it gives us a bit better race pace.
“We always hope for more from big parts, but like I said, we are where we are right now and we’re focused.”
Alternatively, Romain Grosjean did not use the device and qualified just 0.007 seconds ahead of Raikkonen. Despite the Lotus drivers finishing 8th and 9th in qualifying, they will line up P7 and P8 after Paul di Resta’s exclusion from the session.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6