Jun 30, 2013, 7:15 AM EST
Kimi Raikkonen may not be pleased about starting down in 8th for today’s British Grand Prix, but the Finnish driver believes that he extracted all of the pace out of the Lotus E21 car during qualifying on Saturday.
When asked whether he expected more from qualifying, Raikkonen said: “Obivously, yes, but I think this is our speed right now.
“It’s not ideal, but it is what it is and we have to try to improve it.”
Raikkonen also ran with a new ‘device’ on his car during qualifying, designed to enhance the effect of DRS by diverting air flow when on the straights. However, according to Raikkonen, it did not have as great an effect at expected.
“We hoped for a bit more from it but let’s see how it behaves tomorrow. Hopefully it gives us a bit better race pace.
“We always hope for more from big parts, but like I said, we are where we are right now and we’re focused.”
Alternatively, Romain Grosjean did not use the device and qualified just 0.007 seconds ahead of Raikkonen. Despite the Lotus drivers finishing 8th and 9th in qualifying, they will line up P7 and P8 after Paul di Resta’s exclusion from the session.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3