Jun 30, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Nico Rosberg has claimed that his victory in the British Grand Prix is a “special day” for all involved with Mercedes’ Formula One operations.
The German driver took the win after pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton and compatriot Sebastian Vettel both had car troubles when in the lead, and Rosberg is delighted to have won just a few miles away from the team’s factory at Brackley.
“It’s a very special day. Our team has done such a fantastic job,” Rosberg said on the podium after the race.
Yesterday after qualifying in P2, Rosberg spoke of the momentum that the team had built so far this season and he was quick to thank everyone who had made this possible.
“This is for my team colleagues working away in the factory, this is for all of you out there.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Rosberg took the lead of the race with just eleven laps remaining after Vettel lost drive, and today’s race winner made no secret of his delight at his compatriot’s demise.
“When Sebastian stopped, I won’t lie, I wasn’t disappointed about that one. Just a great race from then.”
This marks Rosberg’s third grand prix victory and he will be pushing to become the first German to win his home race since Michael Schumacher in 2006.
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 2
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2