Jun 30, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg has claimed that his victory in the British Grand Prix is a “special day” for all involved with Mercedes’ Formula One operations.
The German driver took the win after pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton and compatriot Sebastian Vettel both had car troubles when in the lead, and Rosberg is delighted to have won just a few miles away from the team’s factory at Brackley.
“It’s a very special day. Our team has done such a fantastic job,” Rosberg said on the podium after the race.
Yesterday after qualifying in P2, Rosberg spoke of the momentum that the team had built so far this season and he was quick to thank everyone who had made this possible.
“This is for my team colleagues working away in the factory, this is for all of you out there.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Rosberg took the lead of the race with just eleven laps remaining after Vettel lost drive, and today’s race winner made no secret of his delight at his compatriot’s demise.
“When Sebastian stopped, I won’t lie, I wasn’t disappointed about that one. Just a great race from then.”
This marks Rosberg’s third grand prix victory and he will be pushing to become the first German to win his home race since Michael Schumacher in 2006.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25