Jun 30, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Mark Webber’s good record at the British Grand Prix continued on Sunday as he recovered from a poor start to finish 2nd in his final race at Silverstone, but the Australian driver has compared the race to a game of Russian Roulette after the Pirelli tires failed on five separate occasions.
Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa, Sergio Perez, Jean-Eric Vergne and Esteban Gutierrez all suffered from blowouts, making Webber thankful to have finished the race, let alone on the podium.
“What a day! I don’t think any of us expected it to unfold like this,” Webber said in a team statement. “The start was pretty bad, we have to look into that as we had had a good run of starts recently. Then I had contact with Grosjean and the wing was damaged; the boys did a great job in the stop when they changed it.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This incident left Webber down in P15 at the end of the first lap, but he fought back strongly to finish just 0.7 seconds behind race winner Rosberg come the checkered flag. Webber was still wary of a potential tire failure though.
“I was praying for a safety car, but not for the reason they were coming, as you knew you could be next. When you have something like that, it’s Russian Roulette; when you see that many tire issues for the fellow competitors then it’s never comforting.
“I made the most of those safety cars – and today the strategy was one of the best we’ve done. I think it worked very, very well. I worked hard to manipulate the pace when I had to and then it was Nico and I left at the end.”
Pirelli are thought to be facing a meeting with the FIA in the next few days ahead of the German Grand Prix one week today.
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 1
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 18
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 1
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 5
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1