Jul 1, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
The balancing act begins anew this weekend for American Le Mans Series full-timer and IndyCar part-timer Ryan Briscoe.
It all starts Thursday with an Open Test for Panther Racing at Pocono Raceway in advance of Sunday’s Pocono IndyCar 400 at the “Tricky Triangle.” After the test is over, he’ll then head off to Connecticut’s Lime Rock Park, where he’ll compete for Level 5 Motorsports on Saturday in the ALMS’ Northeast Grand Prix.
As a result, Briscoe will not be able to qualify Panther’s No. 4 National Guard Chevrolet that day at Pocono and will make his fifth IndyCar start of the season from the back of the field on Sunday.
“It will be a busy weekend between racing the National Guard Chevrolet at Pocono and the Level 5 car at Lime Rock,” Briscoe said in a statement. “It’s great that Panther is giving me the opportunity to race at Pocono even though I won’t be here Saturday for practice and qualifying. Fortunately, I will be able to prepare the car for the race and it was a big bonus having the test day last week and then the Open Test on Thursday to get as much track time as possible.”
Briscoe’s most recent start with Panther at the Milwaukee Mile came while he was going back and forth from France, where he was preparing for his first 24 Hours of Le Mans with the Level 5 camp.
Team managing partner John Barnes said he wasn’t worried about having to start from the back at Pocono.
“I’m not concerned about missing qualifying and having to start in the back of the field; Pocono is a big place and we’ll have 400 miles to help Ryan work his way to the front,” he said in the same statement. “This is the first time we’ve had an extended period of time to test with him and that will pay off for us on Sunday.”
Panther collected its first Top-10 finish since April in the most recent race at Iowa Speedway, as Oriol Servia turned in a seventh-place result on the short oval.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0