Jul 1, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
Derek Warwick, former F1 driver and president of the British Racing Drivers’ Club which runs Silverstone, rubbished claims the tire failure seen in yesterday’s race were caused by problems with curbs.
“Absolute rubbish – these curbs have been in since 2009 and we have had thousands and thousands of cars go over these curbs and they have been absolutely fine,” Warwick told Sky.
During the race drivers were told to avoid using the curbs in several corners as teams suspected they might be contributing to the problems.
The curbs at The Loop and Becketts were under scrutiny as all five of the tire failures during the race occurred immediately after these bends.
But Warwick is convinced there was nothing wrong with them: “We have had them checked by the FIA and they conform fully with the FIA.”
“I think the problem is that we had the secret three-day test for Mercedes a few weeks ago – that test was to build a tire that was strong enough for the British GP.
“They came up with a tire and the teams then had to vote on bringing that new tire to Silverstone and three teams voted against bringing the new tire to Silverstone. So the teams need to look at themselves – they made the decision not to bring the new tire.
“I kind of blame Pirelli, but they did their best to bring a new tire to Silverstone and three teams voted against it.”
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)