Jul 1, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
INDYCAR has announced an update for the aerodynamic specifications to be used in Sunday’s 400-miler at Pocono Raceway in Pennsylvania.
Through an update of Rule 18.104.22.168 of the IZOD IndyCar Series rulebook, the underwing strake has been added to the list of optional parts that can be used on the Pocono spec to create more downforce. This comes after a collection of feedback from drivers, engineers and teams on various configurations used during testing.
The optional parts also include a side wall, trimmed side wall, rear wheel backing plate, sidepod top infill, 2/3 radiator inlet shutter, and rear wing wicker. Mandatory parts include a rear mainplate between zero and negative 10.5 degrees, a rear mainplate profile and the rear wheel guard used at the Indianapolis 500.
Eight IndyCar squads tested last week at Pocono, and the series will stage an Open Test there on Thursday in advance of Sunday’s race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 2
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 6
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1