Jul 1, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
NASCAR’s European stock car racing series — Euro RaceCar — has been renamed, according to a story by the NASCAR Wire Service.
In a Monday morning announcement under the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the series – which began in 2008 and is now in its second official season under the NASCAR banner – will now be known as the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series.
The first race under the new series sponsorship will be this weekend at France’s Tours Speedway, a temporary .400-mile oval built on the outskirts of Paris.
The new sponsor, Whelen Engineering, has been a long-time sponsor of NASCAR’s touring and regional series. It’s latest sponsorship runs through 2019.
“This is a landmark day for the series,” said Jerome Galpin, general manager of Team FJ, which owns and operates the European-based series. “Whelen’s support of NASCAR at every level is exemplary and to have them on board with the Euro Series brings another level of prestige and support to the series.”
In addition to the temporary oval at Tours Speedway, the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series also competes on road courses in France (Circuit Paul Armagnac in Nogaro, Circuit de Dijon-Prenois in Dijon, and Circuit Le Mans Bugatti in LeMans), England (Brands Hatch Circuit), Spain (MotorLand Aragon) and Italy (Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, north of Milan).
Ander Vilarino of Spain won last season’s first NASCAR European champion. He once again is atop the standings after this season’s first three races.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2