Jul 1, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Team owner Roger Penske over the weekend denied a rumor that has been gaining steam throughout the NASCAR garage: that Carl Edwards will be bolting from Roush Fenway Racing at season’s end to join Penske Racing.
FoxSports.com asked Penske if Edwards would join and expand his current organization to a three-car team effort in 2014, with primary sponsorship from Quicken Loans.
“Absolutely not,” Penske said. “That’s a good one, but no. We would do a third car if we had proper sponsorship. But right now we have two good young drivers and we continue to get our cars better.”
However, Penske, fresh off a Venice birthday vacation for wife Kathy, did not rule out the possibility that his organization will eventually grow to a three-car operation, most likely with Sam Hornish Jr. as the driver, if enough sponsorship can be found.
- WATCH: IndyCar qualifying from Barber at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8