Jul 1, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Team owner Roger Penske over the weekend denied a rumor that has been gaining steam throughout the NASCAR garage: that Carl Edwards will be bolting from Roush Fenway Racing at season’s end to join Penske Racing.
FoxSports.com asked Penske if Edwards would join and expand his current organization to a three-car team effort in 2014, with primary sponsorship from Quicken Loans.
“Absolutely not,” Penske said. “That’s a good one, but no. We would do a third car if we had proper sponsorship. But right now we have two good young drivers and we continue to get our cars better.”
However, Penske, fresh off a Venice birthday vacation for wife Kathy, did not rule out the possibility that his organization will eventually grow to a three-car operation, most likely with Sam Hornish Jr. as the driver, if enough sponsorship can be found.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 2
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 5
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0