Jul 1, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Team owner Roger Penske over the weekend denied a rumor that has been gaining steam throughout the NASCAR garage: that Carl Edwards will be bolting from Roush Fenway Racing at season’s end to join Penske Racing.
FoxSports.com asked Penske if Edwards would join and expand his current organization to a three-car team effort in 2014, with primary sponsorship from Quicken Loans.
“Absolutely not,” Penske said. “That’s a good one, but no. We would do a third car if we had proper sponsorship. But right now we have two good young drivers and we continue to get our cars better.”
However, Penske, fresh off a Venice birthday vacation for wife Kathy, did not rule out the possibility that his organization will eventually grow to a three-car operation, most likely with Sam Hornish Jr. as the driver, if enough sponsorship can be found.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 1
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)