Jul 1, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Normally outspoken Red Bull driver Mark Webber held back when asked to comment on F1’s latest row over tires.
Webber, who announced over the weekend he will retire from F1 at the end of the year, finished second in a race which saw a spate of high-speed tire failures.
Asked about his view on driving in such risky circumstances, he said: “Well the team are trying to keep us up to date as best they can.”
“Obviously it’s a little bit of a moving target for them as well. They are doing their job to inform us as much as they can. It’s not a slow circuit, it’s very quick, we’re committed to the high-speed stuff here, 100 per cent most of the time.”
“It’s not December yet, so I’ll stay quiet,” he added.
Webber did say the drivers have had difficulty getting the sport’s governing body to listen to their views: “I think we’ve been trying to have input for the last three years and it’s deaf ears.”
“Anyway, we’re part of the package, part of the show. The show goes on by the looks of it.”
The Red Bull driver admitted he did adjust his driving line to avoid some of the curbs that were suspected of contributing to the tire failures:
“You want to still push as hard as possible but you have to check your line a bit, change your trajectory, the radius is tighter, obviously, in certain corners, i.e. the quick stuff, Copse, Stowe, turn one, staying away from there.
“It turns out maybe it wasn’t really the curbs, who knows but it’s just better to factor in everything that you possibly can.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1