Jul 2, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
In the last decade or so, there arguably has been no better version of the command to start engines prior to a NASCAR race than actor Kevin James.
He not only raised the bar, he sent it into the stratosphere prior to the 2007 Daytona 500.
In 2010, James and good buddy Adam Sandler tried a 1-2 punch (which likely didn’t go over quite as good as they may have hoped) at Michigan Speedway.
Then last October at Talladega, James reprised his 2007 Daytona classic at NASCAR’s other restrictor plate track.
Get ready for James to do it again this Saturday at the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway. And while he’ll do the start engines command with Sandler again, there’ll be a third member that’ll join the party, none other than the big man himself, Shaquille O’Neal.
All three will give not only give drivers the command to fire their engines, they’ll also serve as the race’s Grand Marshals, while also promoting the July 12 release of their new movie, “Grown Ups 2.”
“We’re pleased to welcome three of the stars of ‘Grown Ups 2’ and have them take part in the pre-race ceremonies for one of NASCAR’s most exciting nighttime races,” Daytona International Speedway President Joie Chitwood III said in a statement. “Combining Adam Sandler, Kevin James and Shaquille O’Neal, we’re expecting a boisterous and powerful starting command in front of thousands of race fans and millions more watching on TNT.”
Even if the race winds up being a snoozer, something tells me the pre-race start is going to be unforgettable.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15