Jul 2, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Mercedes’ rivals say the team’s form since their illegal test for Pirelli in May shows the benefited from the information gained while testing.
Lotus team principal Eric Boullier said: “Two wins out of the three races after they tested, so the conclusion is easy. It is just facts. Two races won out of the three.”
Boullier denied Mercedes’ upturn in form might be a coincidence, saying: “I don’t think so. If we were racing on coincidence in Formula One I would know it.”
Mercedes had severe problems with tire degradation earlier in the season. At the Spanish Grand Prix the W04s qualified on the front row of the grid but fell to sixth and twelfth during the race. Pole sitter Nico Rosberg finished 68 seconds adrift.
Mercedes won the first race after their test, the Monaco Grand Prix, on a track which is less punishing for tires. Lewis Hamilton placed second in Canada, another track where the hardest compounds are not necessary. But their victory at Silverstone, one of the toughest tracks on the calendar for rubber, served to indicate the progress they have made.
Before the test Mercedes had scored 72 points in five races and were fourth in the constructors’ championship. Since then they’ve scored 99 points in three races, more than any other team, and overtaken Ferrari and Lotus in the points standings.
Asked if the Mercedes would still be winning races had it not been for the test Rosberg said: “For sure, yeah. Definitely.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 3
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1