Jul 2, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
The National Motorsports Press Association announced Tuesday five nominees as potential inductees into the organization’s Hall of Fame.
NMPA membership will vote on the five candidates later this year, and those receiving the most ballots will become the 2014 inductees to be honored during ceremonies next January in Charlotte, N.C.
(Disclosure: I am a member of the NMPA board of directors).
The five nominees are:
Mario Andretti: Four-time Indy car champion, 1967 Daytona 500 winner, 1969 Indianapolis 500 winner, 1978 Formula One season champion. Is the only driver to win the Indy 500, Daytona 500 and the F1 championship. Is one of only two drivers to win in F1, Indy car racing, NASCAR and the World Sports Car Championship.
Joe Gibbs: Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup championship team owner, two-time Nationwide Series championship team owner, former NHRA team owner, three-time Super Bowl champion head coach. Drivers for Joe Gibbs Racing have won a combined 188 races (106 Sprint Cup, 82 Nationwide).
Ray Evernham: Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup championship crew chief for Jeff Gordon. Brought Dodge back to NASCAR Cup and Nationwide competition as a team owner in 2001.
L.D. Ottinger: Two-time Sportsman class champion (1974, 1975). Seven consecutive top-10 season finishes in the Busch Series (predecessor to today’s Nationwide Series).
Steve Waid: Veteran motorsports writer and publisher. Began his career as a sports writer, joined the staff of Grand National Scene (which eventually became Winston Cup Scene and then NASCAR Scene) as a writer and rose to eventually became publisher. Is a former winner of the NMPA’s George Cunningham Award and a recipient of the Henry T. McLemore Award for outstanding lifetime achievement in motorsports journalism.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)