Jul 2, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen finally broke Michael Schumacher’s points streak in the British Grand Prix. Here’s the top five stats from Sunday’s race.
Schumacher’s points record falls to Raikkonen
Michael Schumacher’s record of finishing two dozen consecutive races had stood for ten years. But it finally fell to Kimi Raikkonen whose fifth place at Silverstone was his 25th points-scoring finish in a row.
In fairness to Schumacher, points weren’t available as low as tenth when he set the previous record.
Hamilton breaks course record…
Lewis Hamilton averaged 147.06mph on his way to pole position at Silverstone. This was a new record for the track which was reconfigured in 2010. His 1’29.607 lap beat the previous record, set by Sebastian Vettel three years ago, by just eight thousandths of a second.
…and hits 1,000 points
Fourth place for Hamilton saw him pass the 1,000 points mark, making him the fifth driver to do so. But as F1 has changed its points system many times, it’s not a record to read much into. When the world championship began a win was only worth eight points – today it’s twenty-five.
Unfortunately Pirelli’s 250th F1 race was marred by a series of tire failures.
Third win for Rosberg
Nico Rosberg has now won three times in F1, adding a victory at Silverstone to his previous wins at Shanghai (2012) and Monaco (2013). His father Keke Rosberg was a five-time race winner but famously only scored a single win in his 1982 championship-winning season.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52