Jul 2, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen finally broke Michael Schumacher’s points streak in the British Grand Prix. Here’s the top five stats from Sunday’s race.
Schumacher’s points record falls to Raikkonen
Michael Schumacher’s record of finishing two dozen consecutive races had stood for ten years. But it finally fell to Kimi Raikkonen whose fifth place at Silverstone was his 25th points-scoring finish in a row.
In fairness to Schumacher, points weren’t available as low as tenth when he set the previous record.
Hamilton breaks course record…
Lewis Hamilton averaged 147.06mph on his way to pole position at Silverstone. This was a new record for the track which was reconfigured in 2010. His 1’29.607 lap beat the previous record, set by Sebastian Vettel three years ago, by just eight thousandths of a second.
…and hits 1,000 points
Fourth place for Hamilton saw him pass the 1,000 points mark, making him the fifth driver to do so. But as F1 has changed its points system many times, it’s not a record to read much into. When the world championship began a win was only worth eight points – today it’s twenty-five.
Unfortunately Pirelli’s 250th F1 race was marred by a series of tire failures.
Third win for Rosberg
Nico Rosberg has now won three times in F1, adding a victory at Silverstone to his previous wins at Shanghai (2012) and Monaco (2013). His father Keke Rosberg was a five-time race winner but famously only scored a single win in his 1982 championship-winning season.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 5
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1