Jul 3, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Travis Kvapil will be hearing a new voice in his head during Saturday’s Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway.
Kvapil, driver of the No. 93 Burger King/Dr. Pepper Toyota Camry, will have a new crew chief atop the it box in the race, one of BK Racing’s team engineers, Dale Ferguson, the team announced Wednesday.
The move is considered temporary, as Ferguson is being tabbed as an “interim” crew chief. Whether he’ll call the pit strategy for Kvapil just for Saturday’s race or more remains to be seen.
Ferguson joined the team as head engineer at the beginning of this season after several years working for Rusty Wallace Inc.
Kvapil’s now-former crew chief Mike Ford, formerly crew chief for Denny Hamlin at Joe Gibbs Racing, will remain with BK Racing as the team’s director of competition.
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3