Jul 4, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
The Grand Prix Drivers’ Assocation has issued a statement warning that if their safety is not guaranteed during the German Grand Prix, they will not hesitate to boycott the race.
At last weekend’s British Grand Prix, five tire failures caused many to question the safety of the existing Pirelli compounds, causing the Italian supplier to bring its prototype tire to the Nurburgring in an attempt to remedy the situation. However, the drivers have still been quick to issue this warning.
“The drivers of the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association wish to express their deepest concerns about the events that took place at Silverstone,” the statement reads. “We trust that the changes made to the tires will have the desired results and that similar problems will not occur during the German GP weekend.
“We are ready to drive our cars to the limit, as we always do, and as it is expected by our teams, sponsors and fans.
“However, the drivers have decided that, if similar problems should manifest themselves during the German GP, we shall immediately withdraw from the event, as this avoidable problem with the tires endangers again the lives of drivers, marshals and fans.”
This stark warning will cause many to remember the 2005 United States Grand Prix which saw just six cars race after Michelin declared their tires to be unsafe. Although the Nurburgring is not expected to cause as much wear on the tires as we witnessed at Silverstone, the possibility of an accident over something avoidable has rightly caused the GPDA to issue this statement.
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0