Jul 4, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
While some may consider it the red headed stepchild of the legendary Daytona 500, the Coke Zero 400 – some people still call it the Firecracker 400 – doesn’t need to take a backseat to any other race.
It still has all the action you find in the 500 – close racing, big wrecks and oftentimes unexpected results. But there are differences: the annual Independence Day week event is 100 miles shorter than the season-opening 500, is run under the lights and provides a whole different ambiance and aura than February’s race.
Courtesy of the figure filberts and great stats people of NASCAR, here’s some facts and figures you should know about Saturday night’s Coke Zero 400:
- Nine of the 10 active NASCAR Sprint Cup Series July race winners at Daytona International Speedway participated in at least one or more July race at DIS before visiting Victory Lane. Greg Biffle won the July race at Daytona in his first appearance.
- Michael Waltrip competed in the July race at Daytona International Speedway 16 times before winning in 2002; the longest span of any the 10 active NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Firecracker 400/Coke Zero 400 winners.
- Terry Labonte leads the series among active drivers with the most overall NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts at Daytona (in both the 500 and 400) without visiting Victory Lane at 60; followed by Mark Martin with 55.
- Since the advent of electronic scoring, the closest margin of victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Daytona for the July race was the July 7, 2007 race won by Jamie McMurray over Kyle Busch with a MOV of 0.005 second.
- Three of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series July races have resulted with a green-white-checkered finish at Daytona International Speedway (Scheduled No. of Laps/Actual No. of Laps): 2008 (160/162), 2010 (160/166) and 2011 (160/170).
- Only one of the 54 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series July races at Daytona International Speedway has been shortened due to weather conditions – July 6, 1996 – the race was called on Lap 117, 43 circuits shy of the 160 scheduled laps.
- Four active NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers have posted their first career Cup race win at Daytona International Speedway: Trevor Bayne (2/20/11), Greg Biffle (7/5/03), David Ragan (7/2/11) and Michael Waltrip (2/18/01).
- Tony Stewart leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in laps led at Daytona with 665 laps led in 29 starts.
- Five female drivers have competed in the July event at Daytona in the Sprint Cup Series: Janet Guthrie, Christine Beckers, Lella Lombardi, Patty Moise and Shawna Robinson.
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 0
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 1
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1