Jul 5, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
The IZOD IndyCar Series isn’t the only open-wheel series having to adapt to the 2.5-mile Pocono Raceway this weekend.
Its developmental league, the Firestone Indy Lights, is also a first-time visitor to the “Tricky Triangle,” and today, the Lights contingent logged almost 800 laps around Pocono in an open test session that was led by Andretti Autosport’s Carlos Munoz. The Colombian racer, who finished second to Tony Kanaan at this year’s Indianapolis 500, topped the session with a lap at 187.688 miles per hour.
“In the morning, we focused on the car since it was my first time here and used the first couple of laps to adapt,” Munoz said of his day. “It’s quite tricky and Turn 1 is the hardest corner. The car is different in each corner so you have to adapt the car for each corner.
“In the afternoon, we focused on the race setup and trying to run in traffic. We improved the car a lot. Tomorrow is a long day and it will be a tough race. Hopefully, we can stay up front.”
Munoz will seek to regain the FIL points lead from Sage Karam, who has taken the top spot in the standings after back-to-back victories at Milwaukee and Iowa. Karam, a native of nearby Nazareth, Pa., was second-fastest in the test session with a lap at 187.548 miles per hour and is keen on pulling out another victory in front of his fellow Pennsylvanians.
“I want to represent Pocono and Pennsylvania and I want to win,” Karam said. “I don’t want to lose in front of my home crowd, so I’m going to give it everything I can to beat these guys.”
Tomorrow’s Lights race will take the green flag at 4 p.m. ET, with NBC Sports Network broadcasting the race on Friday, July 12 at 7 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1