Jul 5, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta have come to contrasting conclusions following the two Friday practice sessions at the Nurburgring ahead of the German Grand Prix this Sunday.
Force India have made their best ever start to a Formula One season, currently enjoying a three-race run of double-scores and lying ahead of McLaren in the constructors’ championship. Adrian Sutil showed signs of this impressive pace in FP1 to finish an excellent 4th, and he is impressed by the one-lap pace that the team possesses this weekend.
“It was quite a good day and the car looks competitive with a similar performance level compared to the last few races,” Sutil said in a team statement. “We are back on the soft tires here, which offer good grip but have very high degradation. They are nice to drive and will be a very good qualifying tire, but long runs were quite difficult.
“The medium tire performs well and is very consistent, so there is a good combination for the race.”
In contrast, di Resta said that he did not feel comfortable during practice.
“There’s room to improve the set-up because I’m not feeling as comfortable as I usually do,” di Resta explained. “Tire-wise we’ve done a lot of running across the two compounds to give us enough data to understand the impact of the new rear tires. The two compounds are different extremes so we need to make sure we can get both in the right operating window.”
di Resta’s comments suggest that the inevitable changes caused by the new tires could have hindered his pace, but he will take hope from his last three performances that have seen him charge from the bottom five on the grid to score points. Likewise, Sutil will be keen on impressing in front of his home fans, with this being his first German GP since 2011.
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4