Could three Andrettis race together once more?

Jul 5, 2013, 5:51 PM EST

IndyCar Testing Pocono Auto Racing AP

It’s long been a dream of race fans to see one of open-wheel racing’s most legendary families, the Andrettis, race together one more time.

Mario Andretti said if the opportunity arose to co-drive in either the 24 Hours of Daytona or 24 Hours of Le Mans with son Michael and grandson Marco, he’d do it.

“I’d do it,” he told the Associated Press ahead of the IZOD IndyCar Series race weekend at Pocono Raceway. “There’s no point in me coming back unless there’s a compelling a reason.”

Of course, that would take some convincing from Mario to Michael, who is firmly ensconced as team principal of Andretti Autosport and head of Andretti Sports Marketing, which promotes two IndyCar races.

“Marco would do it. Michael doesn’t want to do it,” Mario said. “He’s much younger than I am and he says he’s too old. You figure that out. But if I can convince Michael to do it, I’ll do it. I would. I still have the competitive spirit, which is good.”

The marketing and historic potential of such an occasion would be huge for IndyCar, and certainly for whichever sports car race they may choose to race in. If it happens.

1. ditto65 - Jul 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Waste.of.Resources.

2. mann44 - Jul 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I hope they can work it out. And ditto65 bite me.

3. jdgrunt - Jul 6, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I remember watching Mario qualifying at the Milwaukee Mile. He took a totally different line into turn 1 than anyone else was doing, and still ended up 2nd on the grid. Very interesting driver to watch, very talented.

4. Jeff - Jul 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I always like Mario growing up as a kid. Michael was kinda blah to me, but I really like Marco.

5. Jeff - Jul 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Oh, also it be cool to see Mario back behind the wheel of a competitive car instead of a two-seater.

Video from NASCAR America