Jul 5, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Tomorrow night, Kyle Busch will seek to win his second Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway from the pole after posting a lap at 193.723 miles per hour during today’s qualifying sessions. For “Rowdy,” the occasion was a bit of history for him, as it was the first time he’d ever taken pole position on a restrictor-plate track.
“I never thought I’d ever get one,” Busch admitted to NASCAR.com. “But I guess never says never. It’s pretty cool, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the driver, but it has everything to do with the car and equipment you’re driving.”
Busch led a Toyota sweep of the top three positions on the grid in qualifying. He’ll be joined on the front row tomorrow night by Joe Gibbs Racing teammate and Kentucky winner Matt Kenseth, whose lap at 193.299 miles per hour wasn’t quite enough to nab P1. Michael Waltrip Racing’s Clint Bowyer (193.158 mph) will start from the inside of Row 2 alongside Kasey Kahne, who led the Chevrolet camp this afternoon with a 193.154 mph lap.
Martin Truex Jr. and Paul Menard will go off from Row 3, followed by Michael Waltrip and championship leader Jimmie Johnson in Row 4, and Roush Fenway teammates Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Greg Biffle in Row 5.
Danica Patrick, who was a last-lap contender for victory at the season-opening Daytona 500, will start 11th – two spots of her boss and defending Coke Zero 400 champ Tony Stewart in 13th. Defending Cup champ Brad Keselowski and longtime Daytona threat Dale Earnhardt Jr. qualified 15th and 16th, respectively.
COKE ZERO 400 – STARTING GRID
1. (18) Kyle Busch, Toyota, 193.723 mph.
2. (20) Matt Kenseth, Toyota, 193.299.
3. (15) Clint Bowyer, Toyota, 193.158.
4. (5) Kasey Kahne, Chevrolet, 193.154.
5. (56) Martin Truex Jr., Toyota, 193.129.
6. (27) Paul Menard, Chevrolet, 193.075.
7. (55) Michael Waltrip, Toyota, 193.058.
8. (48) Jimmie Johnson, Chevrolet, 193.009.
9. (17) Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Ford, 192.984.
10. (16) Greg Biffle, Ford, 192.947.
11. (10) Danica Patrick, Chevrolet, 192.93.
12. (99) Carl Edwards, Ford, 192.901.
13. (14) Tony Stewart, Chevrolet, 192.876.
14. (42) Juan Pablo Montoya, Chevrolet, 192.864.
15. (2) Brad Keselowski, Ford, 192.802.
16. (88) Dale Earnhardt Jr., Chevrolet, 192.798.
17. (31) Jeff Burton, Chevrolet, 192.724.
18. (22) Joey Logano, Ford, 192.715.
19. (13) Casey Mears, Ford, 192.715.
20. (21) Trevor Bayne, Ford, 192.583.
21. (39) Ryan Newman, Chevrolet, 192.522.
22. (78) Kurt Busch, Chevrolet, 192.489.
23. (24) Jeff Gordon, Chevrolet, 192.448.
24. (11) Denny Hamlin, Toyota, 192.439.
25. (9) Marcos Ambrose, Ford, 192.197.
26. (29) Kevin Harvick, Chevrolet, 192.152.
27. (1) Jamie McMurray, Chevrolet, 191.877.
28. (38) David Gilliland, Ford, 191.755.
29. (7) Dave Blaney, Chevrolet, 191.546.
30. (43) Aric Almirola, Ford, 191.306.
31. (98) Michael McDowell, Ford, 190.795.
32. (36) J.J. Yeley, Chevrolet, 190.735.
33. (51) A J Allmendinger, Chevrolet, 190.726.
34. (47) Bobby Labonte, Toyota, 190.375.
35. (30) David Stremme, Toyota, 190.202.
36. (95) Scott Speed, Ford, 189.853.
37. (35) Josh Wise, Ford, Owner Points.
38. (34) David Ragan, Ford, Owner Points.
39. (32) Terry Labonte, Ford, Owner Points.
40. (93) Travis Kvapil, Toyota, Owner Points.
41. (83) David Reutimann, Toyota, Owner Points.
42. (87) Joe Nemechek, Toyota, Owner Points.
43. (33) Landon Cassill, Chevrolet, Owner Points.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA, Jeff Burton joined the crew to discuss what makes racing in the Brickyard 400 unique. Burton says NASCAR is a guest at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway due to the history IndyCar has made at the track.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA and in preparation for this week’s Brickyard 400, Leigh Diffey talked with 2006 Indianapolis 500 winner Sam Hornish Jr. on what it was like to win the third closest finish in race history. Hornish also discussed some of the keys that drivers will need to succeed at the Brickyard 400.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
After two years of huge success with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series racing at his Eldora Speedway, Tony Stewart would love to eventually see the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series come to his little half-mile track, as well.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
On Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA, Leigh Diffey is the in-studio host and is joined by Sam Hornish Jr. (2006 Indy 500 winner and current Nationwide Series driver and winner of the 2014 Iowa Nationwide race).
Jul 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Indy Racing Experience has partnered with Make-A-Wish® Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana to enhance two wishes during the Kroger Brickyard Super Weekend that takes place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway July 24-27, 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay earns another award after his Indianapolis 500 win.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Pirelli World Challenge President/CEO Scott Bove and 15-year-old rising star Austin Cindric to race a GTS Ford Mustang Boss for charity at Mid-Ohio weekend.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Sauber driver pleased with his pace in Germany, and cares little for the question marks about his future.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Italian tire supplier confirms its selections for the Belgian, Italian and Singapore Grands Prix.
Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close
Jul 24, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
While it’s seemed Marcos Ambrose was a lock to return to Richard Petty Motorsports, especially with all the positive things he’s said about wanting to stay in recent weeks and months, a report Thursday has Ambrose leaving NASCAR after this season and returning to his native Australia to race V8 Supercars — potentially for a new team owned by iconic American race team owner Roger Penske.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Ferrari driver has few qualms about Kimi’s difficulties in 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte will be returning to race at the fabled Indianapolis Motor Speedway in this Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Our writing team makes its predictions for this weekend’s race at the Hungaroring.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
American youngster joins Marussia as its official reserve driver with immediate effect.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Brazilian driver compares it to incident at the beginning of the Australian Grand Prix with Kamui Kobayashi.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Formula 1 will return to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez next year for the first time since 1992.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One final chapter to the first half of the 2014 F1 season at the Hungaroring this weekend, a track that has suited Lewis Hamilton very well over the years.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Six teams, 17 cars set to test at Mid-Ohio ahead of IndyCar race there next week.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. and Kyle Larson put on a spectacular battle in the final 40-lap segment of Wednesday’s second MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, but it was Wallace holding on for the win.
- Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close 5
- MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP 0
- Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver 2
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Preview 3
- Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated) 3