Jul 5, 2013, 12:17 AM EDT
The IZOD IndyCar Series track record will fall at Pocono Raceway this weekend; it’s just a question of who will break it.
All 24 drivers lapped under Emerson Fittipaldi’s track record of 42.510 seconds (211.715 mph) set on Aug. 19, 1989 in Thursday’s open test. Marco Andretti of nearby Nazareth, Pa., topped the speed charts with a lap of 220.963 mph (40.7308 seconds) in the No. 25 RC Cola Chevrolet for Andretti Autosport.
As in Indianapolis, a track of a similar 2.5 miles if completely different in character, Chevrolet-engined cars paced the timesheets. Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves, Ed Carpenter and Ryan Hunter-Reay completed the “Bowtie brigade” top five sweep.
Scott Dixon was quickest Honda on the day in sixth, with Sebastien Bourdais, James Hinchcliffe, Will Power and James Jakes rounding out the top 10.
The series has a day off Friday before official practice opens at Pocono on Saturday for the Pocono INDYCAR 400 Fueled by Sunoco.
See Thursday times and speeds here.
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Brasilia, Brazil race confirmed for March 8, 2015 1
- F1’s Modern Wonder: Under the lights, Singapore shines brightly 0
- 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Preview 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 6
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 5