Jul 5, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
The IZOD IndyCar Series track record will fall at Pocono Raceway this weekend; it’s just a question of who will break it.
All 24 drivers lapped under Emerson Fittipaldi’s track record of 42.510 seconds (211.715 mph) set on Aug. 19, 1989 in Thursday’s open test. Marco Andretti of nearby Nazareth, Pa., topped the speed charts with a lap of 220.963 mph (40.7308 seconds) in the No. 25 RC Cola Chevrolet for Andretti Autosport.
As in Indianapolis, a track of a similar 2.5 miles if completely different in character, Chevrolet-engined cars paced the timesheets. Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves, Ed Carpenter and Ryan Hunter-Reay completed the “Bowtie brigade” top five sweep.
Scott Dixon was quickest Honda on the day in sixth, with Sebastien Bourdais, James Hinchcliffe, Will Power and James Jakes rounding out the top 10.
The series has a day off Friday before official practice opens at Pocono on Saturday for the Pocono INDYCAR 400 Fueled by Sunoco.
See Thursday times and speeds here.
Video from NASCAR America
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 6 – Dale Jr. delivers a year to remember 2
- Merry Christmas from MotorSportsTalk! 2
- Police release report on wreck of brand new $60,000, 707-hp 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat 31
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 7 – Brad Keselowski’s six wins, but falls short of Championship Round 0
- Looking back on motorsports’ 2014 “Festivus” moments 2
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 2
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 10