Jul 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg is pleased with his showing and work completed during the Friday practice sessions, although he has reserved judgement on the new Pirelli tires for the time being.
The German driver, who is coming off the back of his third career victory at Silverstone last weekend, finished P2 in both sessions, suggesting that Mercedes have lost none of their performance despite the changes made to the compounds.
“Good day in general, yeah, interesting because the tires are different and we have to adapt, some setup changes and things like that,” Rosberg said after FP2. “So it’s an opportunity also for us if we can understand it quicker than others to take another step compared to everybody else.”
Rosberg believes that Mercedes are still set to fight at the front, although he did suggest that a shake-up in the field could occur.
“It looks like it’s still on one lap we’re quite quick and also on the longer runs, still a similar situation but it might still shuffle things around a little bit, and it’s enough. A few tenths here or there and you might see a different grid and different race result again. But other than that, it’s a great track to drive on. A good day, good preparation for us.”
The changes were made to the tires after five failures at the British Grand Prix, sparking Pirelli to make alterations to the construction of the tire and introduce their prototype compound for this weekend’s race in order to ensure the safety of the drivers. Rosberg refused to give a secure opinion on the new tires, instead affirming his confidence in the changes made.
“I’m not sure yet but I’m confident that they’ve gone in the right direction, yeah, and that we won’t have tires exploding left right and center, that’s important.”
Rosberg is bidding to become the first German driver to win his home grand prix since Michael Schumacher in 2006.
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Rosberg joins Hill, Prost and Senna as Monaco three-peat winners after gifted victory 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 8
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52