Jul 5, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Charles Pic is pleased with the changes that have been made to the Pirelli tires following the British Grand Prix, admitting that he has complete confidence in the Italian tire supplier.
Speaking exclusively to NBC Sports following the second free practice session on Friday, Pic was pleased with the pace he had managed during the two ninety minute sessions.
“Yeah, it’s been a good day for us,” he said. “I think we finished our test programmes and now we have to see tomorrow and the race. Our objective is to keep the same pace as Silverstone and maybe if we can be even a bit closer to the team in front in the race.”
Pic finished 18th in FP1 and 19th in FP2, and he was the leading driver from Caterham and Marussia in both sessions. Although many had been wary of the tire changes in case they changed the pecking order, Pic is pleased that Pirelli acted so quickly, echoing Sebastian Vettel’s sentiments.
“Yeah, I’m very confident in Pirelli’s capacity to react to this. They made the step we wanted and I am sure the tire will be okay.”
However, the French driver admitted that minor changes were necessary to his driving style and setup.
“If the tires are different, we change a bit, yeah.”
Pic’s long run pace was particularly impressive, consistently lapping between 0.5 seconds and 1 second quicker than Marussia’s Max Chilton during FP2. In an interview with NBC Sports yesterday, Pic explained how he felt Caterham’s race pace was a real strength as the team pursues its first points since joining the sport in 2010.
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1