Jul 5, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Charles Pic is pleased with the changes that have been made to the Pirelli tires following the British Grand Prix, admitting that he has complete confidence in the Italian tire supplier.
Speaking exclusively to NBC Sports following the second free practice session on Friday, Pic was pleased with the pace he had managed during the two ninety minute sessions.
“Yeah, it’s been a good day for us,” he said. “I think we finished our test programmes and now we have to see tomorrow and the race. Our objective is to keep the same pace as Silverstone and maybe if we can be even a bit closer to the team in front in the race.”
Pic finished 18th in FP1 and 19th in FP2, and he was the leading driver from Caterham and Marussia in both sessions. Although many had been wary of the tire changes in case they changed the pecking order, Pic is pleased that Pirelli acted so quickly, echoing Sebastian Vettel’s sentiments.
“Yeah, I’m very confident in Pirelli’s capacity to react to this. They made the step we wanted and I am sure the tire will be okay.”
However, the French driver admitted that minor changes were necessary to his driving style and setup.
“If the tires are different, we change a bit, yeah.”
Pic’s long run pace was particularly impressive, consistently lapping between 0.5 seconds and 1 second quicker than Marussia’s Max Chilton during FP2. In an interview with NBC Sports yesterday, Pic explained how he felt Caterham’s race pace was a real strength as the team pursues its first points since joining the sport in 2010.
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)