Jul 5, 2013, 3:46 AM EDT
Following the GPDA’s threat to boycott the German Grand Prix if the new tires were not deemed to be safe, Pirelli and the FIA have acted swiftly to issue guidelines that should aid the conditions that the tires are in, looking to prevent a repeat of the blowouts at Silverstone last weekend.
The FIA statement reads:
“For safety reasons, we have been asked by Pirelli to ensure that the tires on all cars are run under the conditions listed below. It will be the responsibility of each team to satisfy the FIA technical delegate that their cars comply with the following requirements at all tiems:
1) Minimum starting pressure front and rear: 16 psi
2) Minimum stabilized running pressure front: 20 psi
3) Minimum stabilized running pressure rear: 19 psi
4) Maximum negative EOS camber front: 4.0 degrees
5) Maximum negative EOS camber rear: 2.5 degrees
6) Front and rear tires must be used on the side of the car for which they were originally designated (no swapping from side-to-side).
7) The blanket strategies must be observed.”
Perhaps the stand-out procedure here is point six, forbidding the swapping of tire location. Previously, teams would run the left-front tire on the right-front of the car in order to improve the durability of the tire, but Pirelli had cited this as being a possible reason for the fiasco that ensued at the British Grand Prix last weekend.
Furthermore, the imposition of such guidelines will only increase concerns that the tires may not be 100% safe, although a lot will be learnt during the first free practice session on Friday morning.
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0